Sysdrill Drilling Engineering
Reduce drilling risk and non-productive rig time.
suite offers a single unified well planning and drilling engineering application for improved workflows and accurate engineering analysis. Sysdrill drilling engineering modules include a robust, scalable database from wellsite to corporate data store, with optional user access control, permission management, and a history log to ensure database integrity. Changes made to the engineering design are immediately available to all calculations in the application, with no need to exchange or save data. Sysdrill also enables quick and accurate decisions by loading real-time WITSML™
data and projecting ahead of the bit during drilling. Data displayed in the Sysdrill 3D view, including geological interpretations, can be e-mailed and viewed interactively by third parties in a Web browser.
Efficient and easy-to-use software
Sysdrill is delivered in a single application running off a single database. This ensures unprecedented levels of product integration and productivity gains through highly efficient workflows.
Drilling engineering features:
- The Sysdrill BHA string constructor for quick construction of complex BHA’s by rapid filtering of extensive catalogs of drilling equipment
- Sysdrill Torque & Drag for determining the drillability of wellbores and design of drill strings
- Sysdrill TH-Hill DS-1™ Design Compliance for drill pipe and BHA fatigue analysis
- Sysdrill Critical Rotary Speed Analysis for preventing downhole equipment failure by predicting rotational speeds at which vibration may occur
- Sysdrill Jar Placement for calculating the optimal jar placement in the BHA for a given well geometry
- Sysdrill Hydraulics optimization and analysis for maintaining wellbore stability, hole cleaning and bit performance
- Sysdrill Fluid Temperature Modeling for accurate prediction of ECD and ESD downhole mud density and rheology under HPHT conditions
- Sysdrill Well Control for ensuring that casing shoes are set at safe depths, avoiding open hole formation fracture and generation of Kill Sheets in the event of a wellbore influx
- Sysdrill Casing Design for casing program design and complete load analysis of casing or tubing string
- Sysdrill Casing Wear for determining the wear profile of casing strings due to rotary drilling operations
- Sysdrill Cementing for planning cementing operations to ensure the secure installation of casing strings
- Sysdrill User Manager to configure and manage user access rights to the Sysdrill database
- Sysdrill Survey Tool Correction BHA sag survey correction tool
Data exchange features:
- Import/export wizard for easy mapping of data imported from file or from clipboard
- Extensive catalogs of equipment and materials which can be extended by the user
- Customizable reports for well plans and engineering calculations in RTF and Excel (MS Office)
- Incorporate geological data from VoxelGeo®, SeisEarth®, SKUA®/GOCAD®, Geolog®, Geolog Geosteer® and third-party applications for well planning, geosteering and engineering
- Data exchange with other applications using Epos®, WITSML, DEX, LAS and ASCII formats
Torque and Drag
Sysdrill Torque & Drag optimization and analysis software is used to validate well designs and prevent loss of rig time by eliminating drilling string failure. It can be used by drilling engineers to model all types of BHA’s, e.g. drilling assemblies, casing strings and completion strings.
Torque & Drag features include:
- Soft and stiff string analysis options allow calculation of all the forces acting upon the BHA, including torque, drag, stresses and side forces.
- Hookload, tension, torque, side force, stress, twist & stretch, drag, pressure and standoff plots.
- The DS-1 fatigue analysis module enables any well plan to be audited for compliance with the DS-1 standard design, thereby ensuring that fatigue in the drill string and BHA is both evaluated and minimized.
- Range analysis calculation tool automatically performs a full analysis at varying depths and provides a summary of surface results.
- Friction Factor sensitivity calculation with calibration tools to accurately determine friction factors from hookload and torque data.
- Model torque reduction subs
- Swivel and tractor tools
- Stuck pipe calculator
- Critical rotary speed analysis tool
- Packer setting calculation
- Applied pressure support and integrated hydraulics calculation.
- Post-buckling stress and length change calculations
Sysdrill Hydraulics optimization and analysis software is used to model downhole circulating pressures during drilling, tripping and running casing. Several modes of optimization are offered to enhance bit hydraulic performance and ensure effective hole cleaning. For deep water operations, a riser booster and dual gradient systems are supported.
Hydraulics features include:
- Several optimization modes, including pump pressure, flow rate, % bit loss and bit TFA calculations
- Fluid temperature modeling allows accurate prediction of ECD, ESD and downhole mud density and rheology under HPHT conditions.
- Rheology selector with support for 4 rheological models
- Swab/surge run speed sensitivity analysis
- Sensitivity analysis for calculating pressures and ECD's at varying flow rates
- Managed pressure & dual gradient calculations
- Split flow support for hydraulics & swab/surge
- Range analysis performs calculations at varying depths
Sysdrill Casing Design software allows the drilling engineer to safely design the minimum number of casing strings required to safely complete a well, thereby reducing well capital costs. Fully customizable design load cases can be specified according to company policy and stored in catalogs.
Casing Design features include:
- Model casing and tubing design loads (axial / triaxial, burst and collapse) versus minimum design safety factors for both pipe body and connections
- Service life model with uniaxial, bi-axial (API 5C3) and tri-axial analysis.
- Model bending stress, piston forces, shock loads and formation squeeze forces
- Load case editor allows fully customizable load cases to be created and stored in catalogs for future use
- Catalog of commonly use load cases
- Temperature profile can be imported to de-rate casing yield and calculate thermal expansion effects for more accurate analysis
- Extensive catalog of casing and tubing components, including API connections.
- Support for additional material grades and proprietary connections
- Integrated casing wear prediction module
Sysdrill cementing optimization and analysis is used for planning cementing operations to ensure the secure and safe installation of casing strings. This tool is used to optimize pumping operations for pressures, ecd and flow rate.
Cementing features include:
- Time base cementing hydraulics simulation
- Support for 4 rheological models
- Free fall to calculation
- Fixed flow rate optimization
- Fixed bottom hole pressure (MPD) calculation
During calculations, an animated wellbore schematic displays fluid flow regimes, bottom hole pressures, ECD’s and flow rate as cements are circulated into position. Bottom hole pressures are plotted against formation breakdown pressure to prevent fracture. Expected pump, annular and hydrostatic pressures and pressure losses are also calculated. A volume calculator provides solutions to many common well site volumetric problems, including pill spotting and balanced cement plug.
The well kick tolerance calculator is used to ensure that casing shoes are set at depths to avoid formation fracture while displacing kicks. A kick of a given size can be compared to the chosen casing shoe or the maximum allowable influx for a hole section calculated.
A Kill Sheet can be quickly produced, including dynamic MAASP, volumes, strokes, and a pressure step down chart required to control the well.
Well Control features include:
- PVTZ modelling using Single Bubble Method
- Model a wide range of gas by specific gravity
- Max Allowable Influx & Safe Casing Shoe Depth calculations
- Standard Kill Sheet with Pressure Step Down Chart
- Convenient Volumetric Calculations
- Model surface and subsea wells
The Jar Placement module allows the calculation of optimal jar locations in a given assembly based on the jar operating parameters, drilling parameters and the selected wellbore. The Jar Placement calculation uses the Torque & Drag engine to accurately determine the forces in the BHA. Once the jar location has been calculated, the jar can be inserted into the drill string.
Jar Placement features include:
- Sophisticated Torque & Drag modelling, allowing for any well geometry
- Determination of compression and tension placements
- Accounting for hydraulic forces
- Modeling any jar with user configurable catalogs
- High-quality, user configurable reports
System Requirements for installing Sysdrill Drilling Engineering
System Requirements Processing
- Microsoft® Windows® 7, 8.1 (32 and 64-bit)
-based applications enable interoperability with third-party data stores, including:
- Epos® 4.1
- OpenWorks® 2003.12, R5000
- GeoFrame® 4.5, 2012
- WITSML 1.2 and 1.3.1